Monday, March 26, 2012

One Down

So, I did it.  I ran a half marathon.  It was awesome!  I'm excited for the next one in June!

The race was on Sunday and it was the perfect running weather.  Cool, but not cold.  Not really sunny, and only a few drops of rain right at the start.

I ended up meeting up with Bri, Bri and Casey who were running the half too.  My little Sis, Emily's friends who, now that that 5.5 year age gap has gotten smaller, I feel like we're all the same age (note I feel like that, they probably feel like I'm still the lame older sister!).
Bri and Bri on the left.  Casey, then my Sis Emily with her awesome shirt!  For whatever reason, I look like I just woke up, but that's the farthest thing from the truth!  Not a good look.  Then, my Cutest Fan, Drew Man!  P.S. I always look like a GIANT in any picture with another human being!
Last week, via a phone call through Emily, Casey and I decided we would do well running together...so we did!  We had an agreement that we would run "together" but with our headphones on.  So, more like side by side with no talking..only the occasional point at the suuuuuper skinny lady in front of us , and the guy who looked just like Barack Obama from behind.

Really, I felt pretty good for the first 6 miles.  I started to get tired, but I just told myself, "This is a race, lady...get going!"  And that worked.......until......Casey's IPod died!  I took my headphones out too, and we ran the rest with no music.  It stunk at first, but after about half a mile it was fine...maybe even better!

I had a run-in with GU at mile 4 or 5, I can't remember.  It's just that.  A thick, gooey, GU...not a huge fan...something I'd have to get used to, but maybe I needed the "energy" at the time.  It could have been the flavor.  Vanilla bean.  Sounds good in theory, but I'd rather have something fruity.

Every 2 miles there was water and I think Powerade.  I missed the first one, but hit up the rest.

It was a scenic run along the Detroit river, and down neighborhood streets with huge mansions lining them
Rock CF Rivers half course...well...half...of it.
At about mile 10, I started to really feel it.  3 miles to go, and I knew it was going to have to pick it up to reach my goal.  Actually, Casey had a fancy split watch and said we'd make it under 2 hours for sure, so I kind of wanted to see what I could do with that.  I finished at 1:50.20 so an 8:25 pace.
Casey and me...post run...
My favorite part of the whole race was when I stepped onto the track at the finish, and I saw my sweet Man Drew on Kent's shoulders screaming, "Go Mommy!"  I so wish I had a picture of that!

The NJHS at my school volunteered at the race, so it was cool to see students handing out water and goodies after the run.  Some of them ran in the 5K along with some teachers...they are awesome!

Sweet Jordi decided to stay the night at Grammy and Pop's, so she had a sign waiting for me when we got there to pick her up after the race...
Crafty Grammy helped with the sign...it's hanging up in my classroom!
I sort of felt like crap the rest of the day until later in the afternoon.  Probably I didn't re-hydrate well enough.  But, I woke up in the morning feeling fine, and had a nice easy 4 mile run today.

A few days ago I started the 100 Pushup Challenge.  I wonder how this will shake out.  I'm on day 3 of week 1 tonight.  It's 3 times a week for 6 weeks.  5 sets of pushups a day.  Pushups are just a great total body move, so it can't hurt to be able to do a lot of them, I guess!
Countdown is 2 months and 11 days till half marathon #2.  I'm planning on doing a little more cross training in between runs this time.  I've read little bit about 'base training'.  I have to read more before I really talk about it or DO it, but basically it's more longer maybe slower miles than I did the last go around (OK, let's just be honest...I have no idea what I'm talking about...I did read about it though, and obviously I fell asleep during or soemthing!)   Sounds good in theory, but I wonder how much time I'll have.  About 1 hour max on weekdays and a little more on weekends.  We'll have to see.  I'll just have to jam a bunch of miles in, in an hour.  Hmmm...

Has spring time inspired you to sign up for a run at all?

Are there trails or neighborhoods that are running friendly by you?

What do you prefer, a treadmill, or outside running?
         I don't have a treadmill, or a gym membership, so outside running it is for me, whether I like it or                
         not!












5 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! You ladies go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd your 5K go? TK said it was fun!! It was awesome to see all of the Gate kids there too!

      Delete
  3. You seem to have a big cheering section, but I'll add my voice too- AWESOME!!
    Stopping by from the Haute Mom Hop

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for reading!