Friday, January 20, 2012

Couch to Pavement in No Time

I just wanted to share a couple of web sites that I have been drawn to when it comes to training programs for running.

ANYBODY can run for fitness.  You don't have to have ever run a day in your life, to begin feeling the benefits of the sport...today...I mean actually from a sitting or even laying position on your comfy couch, to running in a 5K race by spring!

There really is a Couch to 5K running program that is a 9 week training schedule.  It tells you what to do, day by day starting, literally from your couch, to running a 5K.

Also, I've used the insights of Hal Higdon to train for my select few races.  His web site, halhigdon.com is great.
He's got training schedules for the Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced runners and walkers for Half and Full Marathons.
He's got online downloads and even Apps for your IPad or IPod to keep with you.  It's pretty neat.

There's nothing better than setting a goal, and accomplishing it.  Especially if it took a lot of really hard work to get there.

There are also a couple of sites I love to go to once I have a run under my belt.  Places like Map My Run and The Daily Mile will help you to do a few important things:

  • You can map a run or a walk route to keep track of your mileage
  • You can record your time and track your progress
  • You can record how you felt on any specific route to compare with other times
  • The Daily Mile will record  your total mileage for the week and for the year!  That's pretty cool to see!
  • You can also connect with other runners and walkers that may or may not be in your area doing the same things as you.  It helps with accountability and it's nice to have some sort of support group.
I guess the hardest thing in everyone's busy schedule, is to find the spare time to start something new.  Putting one more thing on your plate sounds way too complicated.

These sites will teach you how to ease into a training routine.  You won't be thrown to the dogs.  And, after you've begun to see improvements, and are starting to feel really great...you will FIND the time to keep it up!

Do you know of any other great sites with training programs that you've used or are using now?













4 comments:

  1. I used Hal Higdon's training schedule for the Detroit Marathon relay and it made training so much better! I liked having a plan and it didn't seem overwhelming. Also love Map My Run! I always found that if I mapped out a run before I left, I was more likely to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rght! And I also like knowing exactly how far I've run!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I LOVE the picture of Jordi's giraffe! So glad she(?) is well loved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, she's in Jordi's room. Her name is Suzi...hopefully it's a her!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for reading!