Saturday, January 7, 2012

Finding Time

When is the best time to work out?

They say you should work out in the morning right after you wake up.  You know, get up when the sun shines through your blinds, stretch, roll out of your bed, strap on your running shoes and jog through the park in the morning sun, wave to roller bladers, pet a dog, hug a baby...ummm...right.

When I wake up it's pitch black all the way till I roll into work, and pretty much it's pitch black by the time I get home, at least in the winter time.
What about you?  I mean, if you fall under the park runner in the sun category, then more power to you!  But, I've got to map it out so that I can squeeze in a workout during the day sometime before the next day starts!

It's a priority for me to break a sweat most days of the week.  And, you better believe I'm going to make it happen.  There are a few reasons for this...
1.  I feel so much better on the days that I get a workout in.
2.  I sleep so much better on the days that I get a workout in.
3.  I eat so much better on the days that I get a workout in.
4.  I am one step closer to my personal goal on the days I get a workout in.
5.  I'm leading by example to my kids about the importance of being active on the days that I get a workout in.

Some days I'll wake up 45 minutes early in the morning.  Not ideal.  I do not love getting up before 5 in the morning.  I hate it in fact.  But...once I'm up and doing whatever it is I'm doing, I'm so glad I'm doing it!

Some days I'll wait until the kids are in bed.  Not ideal.  I'd rather be watching a recorded 'Modern Family' or 'Gossip Girl'....ha...did I just admit that?  But, again, so glad I did, once I've started.

Some days I'll be able to sneak off for a while when Kent gets home for maybe a run if it's not pitch black out by then.  More ideal, but it takes time away from my hanging out with my fam.

Point is, it's not going to be the most ideal time, or situation.  You're not always going to feel like, "Oooh, I can't wait to workout!"  But, the more you do, the more you like the feeling of feeling good because you did it!  And, you'll find that what you just did was faster, better, longer, stronger, than the time before!  And that's a cool feeling too.

I believe in the saying that it takes 21 days to form a habit.  Be it a good one, or a bad one.  I'd say working out would be under the good category.  On the other hand, waiting until my car gets to E before  I fill it up...now that's a bad one...I should work on that!

What about you, when do you prefer to workout?

4 comments:

  1. I have to work out in the morning otherwise I make excuses for myself for the rest of the day and before I know it I've done nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be able to workout every morning, but waking up early day after day burns a girl out! Keeping on top of your 4 and working out in the morning...you go girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to work out about 4-5 days a week ideally but I find that if I do three or every other day i am happy. I wake up at 5 to work and then get the kids to school. Then hit the gym. My day is way better after that. I feel like i can tackle so much more, eat better, sleep better, etc. Mornings are best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It just sets the tone for you day. Better food choices, more energy...all around feeling better!
      Thanks for checking in, Victoria!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for reading!