I've got to say, I'm inspired by my husband, Kent's determination. He sparked up his 2012 this past week and is on a mission!
He's been working out, and he's been eating right...way more fruits and veggies, lean meats and salads, less snacking, and keeping track of what he's eating.
Making a Resolution is easy. Anyone can SAY what they want to happen. "I want to be healthier", "I want to be stronger", "I want to exercise every day". Those are all very admirable things to want to do!
I want all of those things too! The plan to stick to is what will get us all there!
Some tips on sticking to your plan, whatever it may be:
- Say it out loud! Put it out there! Tell someone your plan. They are bound to ask you about it, and you'd hate to have to say that you haven't gotten started yet, or that you tried it for a day, but gave up!
- Write it down...and put it up somewhere! Kent's meal plan is taped to the kitchen cabinet! Not the most tasteful decor, but if you ever came over you'd see how un-savvy I am with that anyway!
- Try not to look ahead. What? Really, take it ONE DAY AT A TIME!
- Reward little achievements. Maybe you'll put $1 (any amound) in a jar for every pound you loose. OR, you'll do the same for a week of clean eating...whatever motivates you...promise yourself a new pair of kicks for 21 days of sticking to it!
- Focus on how you're feeling. It feels so good to stick to it...the guilt of letting yourself down is totally not worth the donuts in the break room, or the bag of chips after everyone has gone to sleep!
- Target times for working out. Whether it's by yourself or with a group. Kent works out with his football team after school. He's the coach, and there's nothing more motivating than to see your own coach doing what you're doing! It's a double whammy! He's leading by example! The best way to do it!
- Be realistic! Losing 50 lbs. in 1 month is unrealistic and unhealthy. Slow and steady wins the race. Never eating another brownie in your entire life is not going to happen either. You almost have to allow yourself a slip up every now and again or you'll go crazy! Just keep it in perspective and don't let a minor lapse get you off course. Jump back on the wagon and keep going!
- Don't Give Up! You might not be physically seeing the results of your healthier lifestyle right away. The lbs. may not be melting away. Give yourself time. It's a process. Enjoy it!
- Don't call it a Diet! That word has such a stigma! What you're doing is changing a lifestyle. Making your health a priority is much more than a dumb diet! This is a change for life!
You can always draw inspiration from your biggest fans!
|He's rooting for you!|
What are some other tips you have for helping us stick to your resolutions and reach our health and fitness goals?