Some of my bad habits include:
- biting my nails if I'm trying to think about something...something that I know I should know, yet can't remember for the life of me...like...where my school keys are, or where I last saw my right shoe...
- grabbing 5 great items at TJMaxx, and holding onto them as I shop around...then systematically talking myself out of each item until my hands are empty and I leave. I really wish I would have gotten that pair of running capris and cute light brown sandals the last time.
- calling my husband 18 times in the span of 3 minutes if he doesn't answer his cell phone. He calls back within 5 minutes in a panic thinking something is really wrong...it's not...it's just a bad habit of mine.
- tying and re-tying my running shoes if one even feels the slightest bit tighter than the other one. I never do actually get it exact. For a while, I left them tied and just pulled them on, but one shimmied loose, and I had to start from scratch. I hate how I can never get them the same!
This was hysterical on last nights "Modern Family" which is my favorite show...well, one of them. It's my favorite comedy un-reality show. If you've never watched this show, it's a must. For sure. Claire has a bad habit that is, well, a bit disturbing...but funny.
- hanging my kids clothes in their closets in rainbow color order...not sure if that's a habit, or a neurosis. Only because my own clothes are in piles...so only half a habit...hmmm...
- exercise. I really think this is a habit for me. I feel the need to do it. In some form...most days. For me, most days is 5 days a week. Sometimes more.
- making healthy-er choices for meals. I just don't want to feel gross and bad about what I'm eating all the time. Once in a while is ok for me to eat something "bad" or "good" whichever way you'd like to look at it, but for the most part, I like to feel like I've done a good job daily with food choices. And, I'm getting better. In fact, today, I had 1 cheddar and sour cream ruffle chip, and it just didn't have that pizzazz that it used to have for me.
- ummm, well, that's only 3 good ones, and 4 bad ones...so let me see...oh, also, I use SPF 30 Eucerine Facial Moisturizer every day. That is definitely a good one. Except, I've learned not to put it on my forehead before I run, it drips right into my eyes and stings like a mother.
Good habits are not hard to make. It's just as easy to make a good habit as it is a bad one. It just takes some time. Not that much time, even.
Just the feeling of sweat running down my back, knowing that I just did my body good is enough to keep me coming back for more. Feeling strong and in control is enough to motivate me to get up early and do it again.
Putting one foot in front of the other is a great way to move forward, but just putting them there isn't enough. I like that each step counts for something. Each time you stride, do it with purpose. Mine is to show my kids that good habits take effort, and only good can come from them.
The kiddies had swim lessons today, and they really enjoyed it! Sweet J loved that D Man was in her group. She loved following his every move. And he loved to tell her how it's done. They make a good little pair.