Thursday, December 22, 2011

Eyes Bigger Than Your Plate

How shall I say this delicately. Can I make it sound less, well, piggish...It's just that, one of my favorite things about family getting together on Christmas is...the family, of course...but it's...the FOOD! There I said it.

I have always been one with the food, if you get my drift. I'll hang out by the shrimp and cocktail sauce all night. I'll make cheese and cracker sandwiches till the cows come home. Not to mention the cheesy potatoes, the stuffed cabbage, the deviled eggs, not to mention that fact that we have 3 separate Christmas celebrations...I could go on, and on.
It's all I can do to hold myself back from the 2nds and 3rds......

But, today, I read an article in the Detroit News entitled "Half a Meal Can Still Mean Full Enjoyment". Really? How?...Here's what it said...
"When you enjoy your holiday meal, do a mental calculation. How much do you normally eat? Whatever it is, reduce it by 25 or 50 percent. You will be full. I guarantee it."

Sounds easy enough. I think I'll give it a try this time around. I'm always feeling overstuffed and gross after a Holiday meal. I've obviously just eaten way, way more than a normal amount of food. And for what? Do I really get enjoyment out of feeling like I could burst, or that I don't want to move? NO! And this year, I'm going to keep it under control. End of story.

Don't know about you, but the grosser I feel, the less motivated I am to get up and go for a run, or pop in a workout video. That seems pretty ironic! But so true! By not totally overdoing it, you can save on calories for sure, and save yourself the agony of feeling like a slug for the next couple of days. It'll be so much easier to stay on the workout wagon and not fall off into a ditch somewhere!

So, I'd like to thank Terry Foster from the Detroit News for telling me information that I already knew, but somehow didn't click until I read it in his article, and my husband Kent for sending it to me today in an email.

Kids are in bed, and I'm off to pop on a Rockin Body DVD...Dance Workout Video by Shaun T from BeachBody. I can't dance at all...that's a whole other bag of marbles for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks for reading!